The House of Welcome Since 1908
About Woodlark Hotel
The Woodlark hotel redefines luxury in the heart of downtown Portland. Housed in two historic buildings, it opens its doors to a world of effortless sophistication and bold, cinematic expression. A place for inspiration, respite, and rejuvenation in the city, the Woodlark finds beauty in the unexpected and magic in the moment.
The Woodlark hotel was once home to the Cornelius Hotel, opened in 1908 and designed by noted Portland architect John Virginius Bennes. A rare Pacific Northwest example of 20th century baroque revival, the building boasted a dramatic coffered lobby ceiling, a French mansard roof, expansive gathering spaces, and exterior hand masonry and terra-cotta. Situated at the busy intersection of SW Park Avenue and Alder Street, the Woodlark hotel was bestowed as the “House of Welcome” in the 1920s and still bears this historic moniker welcoming guests with its emblematic sign. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Woodlark is history, luxury, and hospitality lovingly reborn.
The hotel is also home to the former “Ladies Reception Hall” at the Cornelius Hotel, a stately gathering space reimagined as a high-tea and cocktail bar called Abigail Hall. With a hand painted mural, glowing fireplace, and wainscot walls from the early 1900s, it takes its name from Abigail Scott Duniway, the first woman to cast a ballot in Oregon and an icon of the women’s suffragist movement in the Pacific Northwest.
Follow along at Woodlark_Hotel to see our spaces and find out about special events at the hotel, restaurant, and bar.