The Cornelius Hotel
Completed in 1908 and designed in a French Renaissance style by Portland architectural firm Bennes, Hendricks and Tobey, the Cornelius Hotel was named after Dr. Charles W. Cornelius, an Oregon pioneer and Renaissance man. It was given the nickname “The House of Welcome” in the 1920s and celebrated for its proximity to the city’s shopping and theater districts as well as its opulent Ladies Reception Hall. The Cornelius Hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 but stood vacant until the reinvention into Woodlark began in 2015.
The Woodlark Building
Completed in 1912 and designed by Portland architecture firm Doyle, Patterson and Beach with a strong Beaux-Arts influence in the elaborate cornices, the Woodlark Building was home to Woodard, Clarke & Co., the city’s pioneer drug store and wholesale pharmacy. One of Portland’s earliest commercial skyscrapers, it was the first place in the Northwest to carry dental, surgical and photographic supplies. Like any classic drug store, there was an in-house soda fountain, offering delicious treats and malts to shoppers. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.